What Is Dedicated Server Hosting and How to Pick a Proper Solution
Dedicated server is a system of hardware and software meant for some particular services. Dedicated servers hosting gives total control to the client who rents the machine for a period he has paid for. The companies that render such services are called dedicated server hosting providers, or just hosters.
Dedicated server hosting solutions: classifications and categories
Dedicated servers can be systemized according to various characteristics. One of the principles of classification is by the key activity the system performs. Mainly, they are used to run scripts, codes and apps as well as to keep files and data. Some other widespread server types include:
- DNS (or name) servers process DNS-requests and translate them to IP addresses;
- dedicated email server hosting is a service responsible for sending and receiving messages (which is obvious from the service name);
- VPN server runs specialized applications for connecting private networks over the Internet, encoding and protecting your data;
- database servers are utilized to keep and manage databases, run database software and provide database services;
- VDS carrier allows you making one or a few virtualized machines for your own needs or becoming a virtual dedicated server hosting provider;
- backup server is the one that helps you avoid losing your data in case of some failure or breakdown.
These were only some well-known features. The list goes on and no, possibilities are almost unlimited.
One more approach to grouping is by an OS they run. If you are about to rent a dedicated machine, you may choose among the following:
- Windows dedicated server hosting;
- Linux dedicated server hosting.
As you probably know, Linux is a family of operating systems based on a Unix-like kernel. It is open-source and most applications are free. That is why Linux is so popular to install.
Anyway, Windows OS has its own advantages, too. Windows server can be a good choice for:
- software and apps compatible with Windows only;
- remote work with files and folders (it is similar to your home PC interface and doesn’t require much additional knowledge).
Looking for the best dedicated server hosting offer
As a rule, you may select between some default system configurations proposed by a hoster and full customization. Anyway, there is a range of factors you have to take into account. The equipment used is the point worth your primary attention. Stable operation is impossible without reliable hardware resources. Take your time to check what you get from your service provider in terms of:
- central processor and memory resources. If you are going to process large amounts of data, multimedia files (especially media streaming), make sure your hoster provides you with sufficient quantity of CPU cores and RAM volume;
- drive types. In case you plan to keep much data on a dedicated computer remotely, the drives you are going to use do make difference. SSD is priced higher than HDD, but it guarantees higher performance. It’s up to you to decide, depending on your needs;
- redundant array of independent disks is a valuable technology for those who store some very important data and would like to maintain it secure;
- network port is another essential point that deserves your consideration. Depending on your traffic consumption, you may select port parameters from 100Mbps up to 1Gbps.
What to expect from the best dedicated server hosting companies
There is a wide choice of dedicated options available and it is not an easy task to pick up an optimal solution for your project. Hardware is not the only noteworthy issue. Pay attentions to the following items:
- service level agreement (SLA) is something you should take careful notice of. In case you don’t feel like bothering yourself with administration, you may apply for fully managed dedicated server hosting;
- points of presence. If your hoster can provide you with a reliable data centre located close to your online project users, it is a considerable plus;
- uptime means a percentage of time a system is online and working. Make sure your service provider guarantees sufficient uptime to keep your project available to your target audience. Look through customer comments and reviews to check if the uptime promised corresponds to what is really provided;
- auxiliary benefits may include DDoS protection, free IP address, IPMI and other attractive features offered without any extra payment.
Choosing a dedicated option may seem a laborious and time-consuming task, but it is worth the effort. Never fall for the cheapest dedicated server hosting offer — it may cost you success in the long run. Be careful!